Exercise at Work
Workplace Group Exercise Classes
“Physical inactivity is the second highest lifestyle related cause of disease and illness in Australia, only behind smoking.”
Structured physical activity is highly effective in preventing and/or treating most of the major diseases of modern society including diabetes, heart disease, depression and cancer. Yet despite this evidence, almost 70% of Australian adults are not active enough to achieve the preventative health benefits. Sixty-five percent of the Australian population aged over 15 years are in the workforce, with 68.5% of the workforce classified as sedentary or engaging in low level activity.
Related to this, the cost of absenteeism in Australia is estimated at $7 billion each year. Recent research has shown that workplace health programs resulted in, on average, a 25.3% decrease in sick leave absenteeism, 40.7% decrease in workers compensation costs, and $5.81 of savings for every $1 invested in employee wellbeing.1 Further research has shown that productivity loss due to physical inactivity equates to 1.8 working days per worker per year.
Stretching & Mobilisation Class
These group classes are an introduction to reinventing yourself and reversing the damaging effects that sitting has had on your health. Sports science research has shown us that taking the time to stretch and strengthen the vulnerable areas of your body (those that are effected by sitting) can not only eliminate the risk of injury, but it can and will IMPROVE performance too.
Stretch & Strengthen Class
What does this include?
- Low impact yoga based exercises designed specifically for your workplace to help alleviate tension from your neck, back and shoulders due to long hours of sitting at the desk
- Postures to strengthen your core and all body muscles so you can go back to sitting more comfortably
- Movements to increase flexibility in your whole body, particularly areas related to the lower back and shoulders
- Breathing and relaxation techniques to help deal with stress
- Learning how to deeply relax and rejuvenate the body and mind, even help with a better night’s sleep
- Techniques to help increase your focus, concentration and therefore your productivity
- Improving your muscle strength and stretch balance so your body functions better
Core Stability Class
Good posture is more than just sitting up straight when planted all day in front of the computer. Why not give your employees an opportunity to understand how their body posture affects their overall health and learn how to make changes to improve their day? This workshop was created to educate your staff on how to monitor their own posture during working hours. We will provide them with enough tools to correct their posture and use their core properly to stabilise the body and prevent injuries from occurring.
Remember, just because you’re not carrying an injury now doesn’t mean that one isn’t just around the corner!
The Benefits Include
Reduced low back pain and fewer injuries
Improved lower limb and spinal flexibility
Increased strength and endurance
Increased postural awareness – able to achieve a neutral spine & sit comfortably longer
Improved lower back strength, pelvic and core stability
Improved running speed and efficiency
Improved productivity at work
Reduced absenteeism, heightened morale, wellness and attitude within the workplace
At Corporate Work Health Australia we are here to help you achieve realistic and measurable changes in and out of the workplace.