Pre Employment Assessments & Functional Capacity Evaluations
Pre Employment Physical (Functional) Assessment (PEFA)
“Injury and musculoskeletal disorders led to 90% of serious claims in 2014–15, with the most common traumatic joint/ligament and muscle/tendon injuries (almost 45%). Safe Work Australia estimate in 2012–13, work-related injury and disease cost the Australian economy $61.8 billion, representing 4.1% of GDP. It is estimated that 1 in 10 employees currently employed for a given job are unfit to perform those duties safely.”
Pre Employment Assessment & Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) – Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Darwin, Hobart & Townsville. The process of recruitment, the impact of work related injuries and the resulting labour replacement efforts can be a costly exercise for any business. The cost of loss time and related medical expenses associated with injuries to Australian employers is significant.
Corporate Work Health Australia’s pre-employment functional assessments are a series of tests that provide objective information about an applicant’s physical and functional capacity in relation to the job for which they are applying. The PEFA is designed to help identify workers with and without medical conditions, impairments or disabilities in order to determine if they will be placed at imminent risk of injury or pose risk to co-workers when required to perform the essential functions of a job.
This process is important when considering the potential costs associated with work injury that may have resulted from a mismatch between a worker and the demands of the job, a step that is often overlooked in the standard pre-employment medical. This service is becoming increasingly recognised as an important part of injury prevention and ultimately assists in reducing employer’s premiums associated with workplace injuries and lost time.
At Corporate Work Health Australia we adopt the JobFit Training System to undertake pre employment screening and functional capacity evaluations.
The JobFit Training System was developed by health and safety specialists (physiotherapists, ergonomists) to provide companies a simple, safe, effective and reliable method to record key physical requirements of tasks and safely matching these with the functional abilities of workers with minimal duplication of information and services. Read more about the JobFit Training System by clicking the link http://www.jobfitsystem.com/system_benefits.asp.
Pre Employment Functional Assessment (PEFA)
The JobFit System Pre-Employment Functional Assessment (PEFA) is a job-specific short-form Functional Capacity Evaluation.
Each JobFit System PEFA takes about an hour and includes a musculoskeletal screen, aerobic fitness test, job-specific static and dynamic postural tolerances (eg reaching, squatting, climbing) and job-specific lifting and carrying tasks.
A JobFit System PEFA answers three questions:
- Does the worker have a current injury?
- Has the worker demonstrated the physical capacity to perform the inherent requirements of the job?
- Does the worker have an increased future risk of injury and what can be done about it?
Functional Capacity Assessment
PEFAs are not just PRE-Employment Functional Assessments, they are also PERIODIC Employment Functional Assessments.
More and more employers are using the JobFit System PEFA:
- During the rehabilitation process to monitor change
- At claim closure to determine suitability in returning to pre-injury duties
- Prior to returning to work after a non-work related injury or illness
- Employees transferring between jobs
- Contractors commencing a new project
Because the JobFit System PEFA has been scientifically proven to have Good to Excellent Reliability, you can use it as a ‘repeat’ measure to monitor change over time. This reliability means that any change in the result, is likely because of a change in the worker, not because the test was done in a different way.
JobFit System PEFA processes are standardised, but the test inclusions can be customised to the worker’s injury and their job.
We use the patented JobFit System software to objectively match the worker’s abilities to their job.
Benefits to Employer
- Improved health and reduced injury risk of workers employed, and total workforce
- Reduced mismatch between worker and critical job tasks leading to injury or illness
- Record of pre-employment capacity affording some protection against false claims of injury
- Record of pre-employment capacity helps to identify when a subsequent injury has recovered (returned to pre-injury state)
- Functional Job Analysis allows unsafe work practices to be indentified and reduced
- Reduction in Workcover claims and Workcover premiums through reduced injury rates
All Corporate Work Health Australia’s pre-employment functional assessments are completed with a report to the employer outlining if the worker met (passed) or did not meet (failed) the critical demand criteria for the job in which they have been offered employment.
All assessments will be designed for your company and job roles, however, as a general guide most assessments address the following:
- Pre-Assessment Information
- Medical History
- Aerobic Fitness
- Musculoskeletal Assessment
- Manual Materal Handling Assessment
- Pre-Qualifiers (Is worker safe to complete critical job demands assessment)
- Critical Demands Assessment